Friday, July 9, 2010

Ahhh, revisionist history

Hindsight always being 20/20, what would the Reds look like right now if they'd kept Josh Hamilton? Could you imagine he and Votto with Rolen between them? Especially if you put JH in LF and kept Stubbs in Center? I have both Hamilton and Votto on my fantasy team, and it's no surprise I have the best offensive numbers.

According to fangraphs.com, Hamilton is a 5.0 WAR (Wins Above Replacement) player and Votto is a 4.0 WAR. As well as Gomes has played, Hamilton has had an even better 1st half than Votto who's arguably the NL MVP to this point.

I certainly don't fault Wayne Krivsky and company for the trade, there's no telling what Volquez would've done if healthy. I really think the positive PED test had everything to do with rehabbing that injury. In 2008 Volquez's WAR was slightly higher than Hamilton's impressive 3.8, but it would be hard to beat the 5.0 JH is currently posting.

I don't know what to expect out of Volquez for the balance of this season, but I do think he can help this team as they chase a division title. Command is usually the last thing to come back after TJ surgery, just ask Francisco Liriano, and stamina will be a work in progress as well. I don't know that you can or should entrust high leverage, high stress starts to guy so freshly off elbow surgery.

Unless they have to force him into the rotation, I'd rather see EV and Chapman used out the pen down the stretch, similarly to how David Price was used by the Rays two years ago. Talk about some gas coming out of the bullpen....yikes.

Still though, for just a moment it would be fun to imagine Josh Hamilton still in that Reds jersey. But the past is in the past, and for once, both teams involved in a trade have made positive strides since.

2 comments:

  1. How soon we forget the last two injury plagued seasons in Texas for J-Ham. The guy will always be injury plagued because of past abuses of his body. Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs may not be as dynamic as Hamilton (when healthy) but they are just getting their careers started and they will be much healthier for their careers.

    Still, I would like to see him out there this year instead of Jonny Gomes. Particularly from the defensive side of the game.

    BTW, I am the guest TML Blogger for Cincinnati's Enquirer this coming Wendesday. I only aspire to be as good as Brian. THere will be some local and national sports talk, and a bunch of pop culture stuff. Be forwarned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All hail the Texas Rangers for keeping the Mets, Phillies, and Yankees from getting Cliff Lee. I would have vomited in my mouth if the Yankees got him.

    ReplyDelete