Saturday, May 21, 2011

RIP Randy Macho Man Savage

It sucks when the guys you watched growing up get older and start dying off. It makes you nostalgic for a time long gone, and it reminds you just how long ago that was. And that we are not as bulletproof as we thought we were, back when we were jumping off our couch's armrest, pretending it was the top rope.

As I've done a few times in past, I turn over the reigns to a guest. In this case, this crummy little blog has a visit from a blogging celebrity. A man who's been one of only a handful Paul "Doc" Daugherty's guest fill-in's on his cincinnati.com blog and member of the critically acclaimed band, The Rebel Set. The one and only Jason Johantges. We are not worthy.....take it away JJ:

Let’s have a moment of silence for, and then a 21 Slim Jim snap salute, for
Randy “Macho Man” Savage. He died today in a car wreck caused by a heart attack.

Spending much of my formative years in the 80’s the WWF (I will not accept WWE as
the name, way to bend over for a bunch of tree huggers) was a big part of my Saturdays.
From the morning Hulk Hogan Rock n Wrestling Express to the late morning wrestling
show, to the occasional Saturday night late night special events, I watched a bunch
of wrestling on my Saturdays. Please God, if the rapture doesn’t come this weekend,
make Rebecca Black create a sequel to her “hit” Friday and sing a song about Saturday
dedicated to the WWF of the golden ages. I don’t ask for much.

I was lucky to enjoy the golden age of pro wrestling with super stars like Hulk Hogan,
Andre the Giant, George “The Animal” Steele, Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat, the
Ultimate Warrior, and of course Macho Man. How much fun was it to practice those
signature moves of the stars on your siblings and friends? Good times! I also remember
the line of toys that were made out of the hardest, stiffest rubber known to man.
Which also weighed about 25 pounds per figure so when you inevitably threw one at
your sister’s head you did significant cranial damage. More reasons to love the 80’s;
dangerous and somewhat toxic toys!

I did turn away from the WWF as I got into Jr. High and High school as sports, video
games, hair metal, and girls came calling. Because lets face it, wrestling kind of got
creepy as you realized you’re too old to roll around on the floor with other boys
mimicking the holds of the WWF but the idea of doing it with girls caused a strange
tingling in your nether regions. Still, the Macho Man was an icon of my youth and a
strong reminder of the many Saturdays I spent jumping off furniture as if it was the top
turnbuckle of a ring. While he wasn’t my favorite wrestler he sure played a part in about
every memorable feud in their heyday.

He also introduced fans to the idea of female managers with his long time partner Miss
Elizabeth. Sadly, she died years ago under the suspicion of drug use. Which was another
sad byproduct of the WWF; rampant illegal drug use. The WWE has chewed up and
spit out many people. People who have destroyed their body and mind through steroids,
cocaine, and painkillers. From the stories I’ve heard about the WWF in the mid 80’s
their locker rooms would have made put the ’86 Mets to shame. It is no surprise that like
many football greats of the 70’s and 80’s the WWF stars of the same timeframe are dying
much too early because of the common practice of drug use.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a happy reminder of an icon of my youth. As mentioned
above I attribute many good times spent on Saturdays enjoying wrestling related
entertainment. For that, I will always have a spot in my heart for the WWF stars of
the ‘80’s. Macho Man, I hope you find peace and plenty of Slim Jim’s in the afterlife
Macho Man. Although after this weekend we may be able to meet in person you know,
pending the rapture and end of days of course.

OH YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment